Catfish Noodling

by john on April 23, 2003

catfish

It’s hard to imagine anything dumber than wading out into a muddy river, reaching down deep underwater into a dark hole and wiggling your fingers as bait hoping that a giant catfish will clamp down on your hand so you can pull it out of the hole, without getting pulled in yourself. That’s a basic description of catfish Noodling, or the sport of fishing for catfish by hand.

It’s a dangerous sport that kills a few people every year and injures many more. There is more than cats that lurk in those holes – snapping turtles or snakes can do damage, not to mention that giant catfish that could just as well drag you down into the hole.

The term Noodling is used in Oklahoma; depending on what southern state you hail from you may call it grabbling, stumping, hogging or dogging. But it’s all the same thing – putting on your overalls, wading into some murky body of water, and taking your life into your hands (or at least the life of your hands) all in the name of a little sport.

ESPN Outdoors has done a story on Noodling. Okie Noodling premiered at the 2001 South by Southwest film festival. Noodling For Flatheads: Moonshine, Monster Catfish and Other Southern Comforts includes Noodling and other odd Southern traditions.

As always, Google is your friend if you want to know more.

You can also learn how to hypnotize a chicken, or tickle trout.

NEW – Visit my Catfish Noodling Store where you can buy all sorts of things related to the great sport of Catfish Noodling! Through trusted vendor Amazon.com.

cn.jpg

darin June 28, 2005 at 11:42 pm

hey awsome to find others out their who love to fish the way i do ive been fishing this way for 16yrs. the only problem is our river is drying up in my part of kansas. would like to be invited up to noodle in your aera let me know thanks.

Alex June 29, 2005 at 12:02 am

GREEN DAY IS FUCKIN RAD!

pat July 7, 2005 at 2:11 am

Dude u green day freaks need 2 get a life stop worshiping a band of untalented musicians. Guitarist:sux, Drums: my 7 year old sister could play, bas: nothing compared 2 old rock n roll, vocal: a out of tune retard wayling for his mom, greenday fags who wear makeup, dont make fun of southern people because u r more pathetic than us, so shut the fuck up u left wing liberals, get ur heads out of ur asses and live a real life, u will never meet greenday if u did they’d spit on u

Long live Rock n Roll

CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who

Sammy July 12, 2005 at 7:43 pm

Guys, chill, yeah people should not dedicate their lives to green day, but personally i just have to say DON’T OBSESS OVER BILLIE ok tre is cooler and mikes my idol. wow i actully have a reason to like green day hmmm dont i. its stupid when some of you say how hot they are and thats it. thats really low. your probably obsessed with boulevard of broken dreams just cuz they play it so frickin much on the radio. Pat^^ i dont worship them. hmmm i wonder why their famous if they suck? dont insult tre u probably cant play if u had a drum stick you’d just stick it up your ass. you spelled bass wrong its B-A-S-S idiot and who the fuck says it has to be old rock and roll? your the one who needs to get a life and stop talking shit

margot July 31, 2005 at 2:34 pm

GREEN DAY RULEZZZ FOR EVER END EVER LOVE THEM SO!!!

dwayne August 8, 2005 at 9:09 pm

I catch 40 & 50 pound flat heads on trot line. but want to try to build some noodle box!!! how do you build them

Tricia August 9, 2005 at 6:51 pm

This is a website about catching cat fish…sure I love Green Day a whole hell of a lot but imagine if you were the ones with this site and it was ment to talk about catching cat fish and then everyone comes here to talk about how they always think that Green Days gonna come on this site and magically want to talk to you. They dont even know who the hell you are..why dont you actually go to a Green Day disscusion site and dicuss it there because im sure the people who own the site would be pretty pissed !!

Green Day Freak All Da Way August 10, 2005 at 11:17 am

Green Day is Frickin’ awesome and i love em so!
Rock On! ok wait so green day really went catfish noodling?!? They are crazy but they rock my frickin’ world.

vedrick August 13, 2005 at 4:03 pm

craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy fish

longview August 22, 2005 at 12:39 pm

death by catfish…O_o i can think of worse ways to die…

Shelby August 24, 2005 at 3:24 pm

all of u need to stop acting like such assholes i went and searched for cat fish noodling because my friend tia is obsessed with greenday and told me to go and search but pat i hope u know that sammy is right you did spell the easiest word bass wrong…….it is B-A-S-S not B-A-S!!! you are such a fucking retard. just letting you know. see you all later.bol!(be on later)

Ryan (Green Day Fan) August 25, 2005 at 5:45 pm

GREEN DAY IS THE BEST Shelby you spelt it wrong you fucking retard!! GREEN DAY not GREENDAY!! Catfish noodling looks awsome i wanna try it out! Ive never seen any one do it before or heard of it bye!

shelby August 27, 2005 at 2:49 am

whatever ryan i know how to spell its not my fault the librarys keyboards suck……you are such a little asshole!!! RYAN IS AN OBSESSED PERFECTIONIST!

SGT Mackey August 28, 2005 at 7:27 am

Ive jus got interested in noodlin. Im currently serving overseas with the military and seen a docomentry on the outdoor channel while i was at home on leave and as soon as i seen the thrill of it, it interested me right from the start. Anyhow my question is are there any dvds out to where i can show some of my other army buddies some of this stuff? They think its crazy..lol Anyhow another thing is im from california and from what ive read so far noodlin is outlawed. Where is the closest state that i can go to where its legal to do? thanks for you time dude.

Ailbhe Carey September 3, 2005 at 9:49 am

U all smell….REALLY BAD

Melissa September 19, 2005 at 1:57 pm

omg!?!?!?

justin November 8, 2005 at 9:19 pm

i think greenday suks………. listening to music takes no skill…. fukin punks.. get a life

avery granum December 2, 2005 at 6:22 pm

hey billie,mike and tre, i just bought bullet in a bible and it is really kool,anyways justin(up) is a faggot and green day freakin rocks!

(p.s. great show in st. paul guys!)

john andrist December 17, 2005 at 6:10 pm

Hey Billie Tre’ and Mike whats up my name is John big fan i remember the day i turned 13 Sept. 16 the day of your concert in St. Paul my mom said i couldnt go to your concert BUT suddenly my mom pulls 2 tickets to your concert i was so happy i got light headed and felt like i was fricken high from oxygen it was the best night of my life……..anyway im an artist ive drawn you several times gets better evey single time i wish you could autograph them….later

I can say that coz im that awesome March 31, 2006 at 11:54 pm

God, This poor guy was writing something i dunno maybe important to him and then all these people go on and on about Green Day. Funny though. I don’t even know how I found myself here. I didn’t expect it to have anything Green Day related though…unexpected…yay!!!

Katxx

rick james April 11, 2006 at 2:27 pm

greenday likes men

Cole Purdy June 16, 2006 at 12:15 am

Hey. That catfish was huge. Can I get some advice on how to catch ones like that? Where did u get it at?

greendayisgay July 14, 2006 at 12:12 pm

green day sucks you guys are freakin fags i came to this website to find more about noodling and you queers put green day crap all over this site

olskoolfisher January 7, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Any body ever noodled in the Pascagoula River in Southeastern Mississippi. Back in the day we would catch flatheads near 100 lbs there on trotlines and saltwater rods. There is BIG stuff in there. Gars up to 8 and 10 feet too.

Scooter March 4, 2007 at 12:12 am

About the redneck jokes. What we rednecks don’t git is the joke part. It is a true way of life. No Joke:o) We already know what we are. It’s the others we worry about. Scooter

MASON MCGAVOCK December 21, 2007 at 3:40 pm

HI! I LIVE IN EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA. I HAVE ONLY CAUGHT A FEW CATFISH IN MY LIFE. BUT THEY DID HAVE SIZE TO THEM. IM A 13 YEAR OLD BOY. I LOVE TO FISH. USUALLY BIG SALTWATER GAME FISH. BUT I LOVE FRESHWATER FISHIN MORE THAN ANYTHING. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT CATFISH NOODLIN. IT SEEMS LIKE A REAL INTRESTIN SPORT AND I WOULD LOVE TO GET STARTED BUT I DONT NO IF I NO ENOUGH. IF YOU GOT ANY INFO ON THE SPORT PLEASE EMAIL ME AT MASON16_91@HOTMAIL.COM OR AT http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SALTERPATHMONKEY

BOBBY December 31, 2007 at 2:30 am

Mason its great to hear that your interested in noodling,hogging,grabbling whatever you want to call it. Im from Oklahoma and have been doing this for almost 20 years now. Dang now i feel old. Anywho the most important thing is not to go by yourself, go with someone who has experience doing it. There are many styles of catching the fish, grabbing the fish by the lower jaw, gills etc. I dont want to go into to much detail because i dont want to get someone hurt. It takes some nerve, technique, and a good set of lungs. Most important dont go by yourself, and when get the opportunity to go, good luck. its a blast…

BOBBY December 31, 2007 at 2:32 am

if you have any questions about noodling feel free to email me sparks1269@yahoo.com

Vernon C July 17, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I am inquiring about a guide for Noodling in the the state of Louisiana. Would you know of such a one? Could you direct me.

Thanks

Vernon C July 17, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Please disreguard entry above

coughran066@yahoo.com

This is the correct adress

{ 1 trackback }