Playing with the big boys

by john on February 24, 2004

[UPDATE] – Due to a change in plans around a trip to Copenhagen for work I’ll now be playing in the $1,500 No-Limit Hold’em event on April 30th – May 1st. I’d love to hear about anyone else who plans to attend.

2004 WSOP

In the last two weeks I’ve played in two poker tournaments, winning an 11 person home game tournament against a bunch of rank amateurs, and finishing 29/32 against the poker bloggers. Clearly not the results of anyone expecting to hold up against the worlds best, but hold up I must as I’ve just booked a trip to Vegas for the World Series of Poker. I’ll be playing in the first event of the tournament rather than the last event which is the ultimate championship that you’ll be seeing on TV for years to come, but it’s still part of the World Series and I’ll be there. The simple fact is I can’t afford to take off an entire week to play the World Championship (as if I need to worry about anything past day one). I know I’ll be dead money but I’m going to make moves and have fun.

However, it’s a good thing this tourney doesn’t start for a couple of months because right now I’m on tilt. I booked my trip based off the 2004 schedule posted on Binion’s own site, only to read a little bit ago on Guinness and Poker (the guy who knocked me out of the Grublog Classic) that in fact that schedule is slightly wrong and should be ignored, and instead the schedule on Cardplayer.com should be used. And of course instead of getting all four nights comped at Harrah’s I can only get two for that weekend, and the airfare was an extra $75. I’m losing before I even get there.

But I guess this means there is nowhere to go but up.

jeremy February 25, 2004 at 12:21 am

I’ll see you out there — I always go for the first weekend of the WSOGood luck!

Scott Chaffin February 25, 2004 at 10:00 am

That’s way cool. What tourney are you playing in???

john February 25, 2004 at 12:30 pm

$2000 No-Limit Hold’em on April 23/24. Hoping to get in via a satellite but prepared not to.

Scott Chaffin February 26, 2004 at 11:06 pm

I envy you greatly. My Texas good wishes will be with you.

john February 27, 2004 at 7:38 am

Thanks Scott. You know darn well that on the first hand of the tourney I’m going to be in the big blind, it will be passed around to the small blind who goes all-in and I’ll look down to see Rockets. You just know it.

Scott Chaffin February 29, 2004 at 12:34 pm

HA! And it’ll probably be some dipstick like Hellmuth who’ll yell at you, too. What a nightmare situation.

john February 29, 2004 at 2:27 pm

It will be interesting to see how many “top-flight” pros play in the first event. I have no idea whether they play in all of them just to win that bracelet or if they just play in the $5k and up events.

Of all the bad things that could happen on the first hand I suppose going in with the best hand wouldn’t really be at the top of the list. But it sure would be close, frankly I’d just as soon get some garbage for a cycle or two just to get settled in.

The Cards Speak (A Poker Blog ) February 29, 2004 at 5:10 pm

It hurts, doesn’t it?

“It hurts, doesn’t it? You can’t believe what fell… All your dreams dashed. Hopes down the fucking drain. Your fate, standin’ right behind me.” –Teddy KGB Usually the cards turn around after a while. I popped some tobacco under my…

jeremy March 2, 2004 at 3:23 am

A LOT of the top pros play in the lower buyin events at the WSOTwo years ago I was playing in the $2k buyin LHE event. I was at a tough table, and was thankful when they broke my table and I got re-seated. I nearly died when I found my new seat. Directly to my right: TJ Cloutier. Directly to his right: Allen Cunningham. Directly to my left, past the dealer: Scotty Nguyen. Directly to his left: Daniel Negreanu. What a lineup! I didn’t recognize anyone else at the table, but it was fairly intimidating playing in the middle of those four guys 🙂

{ 1 trackback }