Voicemail Stock Spam

by john on August 21, 2004

Here’s a new one – received this on my home voicemail:

bq(quote).. Hey John, itís Rebecca. Listen honey, Frank wanted me to give you a
call. I just put him on a plane and he didnít have time but he wanted me
to let you know, remember those guys who do the stock promotions, um
they are getting ready to start another one this week. They just did oh
shoot let me look here. Um, ah, The first one was CNDD and the other was
PWRM. um he says that the next one ah that you can get in on is PRAE.
Yes, PRAE. Itís an oil company and ah anyway he said he thinks this is
going to be the best stock promotion this year, itís at like 30 cents
right now and they think its going to go up to 3 or 4 dollars per share,
something like that.

He already bought. He says you need to get in in the morning before the
price starts going up because he definitely wanted in on this one.

So give him a call later tonight sugar, and I think thatís it.

Iíll talk to you soon, bye.

It’s a pretty common ruse – make the mark think he knows something he shouldn’t know and let him take advantage of it. Only thing I can’t figure out though is why they are pushing a stock, PRAE, which doesn’t seem to exist.

By the way I just had the best tasting meal I’ve ever had at a Denny’s. But I had to go to Tokyo to get it.

Paul September 2, 2004 at 10:45 pm

I got this voicemail, too– but Rebecca started with “Hi, Paul.” So was this a recording? The voice didn’t sound synthesized for my name, and certainly wasn’t for the rest of the call. It matched yours word for word. Could this Rebecca be making live calls? It’s pretty weird. The first time I listened to it I thought: what a crude and baldly manipulative way for a stock salesman to send a junk ad. Then I noticed that there was no number to call. When I decided to Google the stock name, PRAE, I found your blog. I’d love to know more about this bizarre call.

Tom September 6, 2004 at 6:56 pm

OK…

I just got the same, right now.
It was for Paul.
Matched it word for word.
I did a google on “PRAE oil company” and
found your blog.

I tried to *69 the call, but, naturally, could
not get a line.

Anyone has any idea about PRAE?
Curious.
(I think it is deceitful what they are doing
and I want to call and let them know)

Tom September 7, 2004 at 1:08 pm

Just googled to find the same message I’d received, but the stock is TRAE, not PRAE.

Tim September 7, 2004 at 1:13 pm

Got the same e-mail, but it was to Paul, as the other poster said, and the stock is TRAE (Triton American Energy Corp), not PRAE. It’s under TRAE.PK on Yahoo.

Molly September 9, 2004 at 1:51 am

Hi–got the same tonight–it does sound like PRAE, but after reading other comments and listening about 3 times–it is TRAE. I did the same as everyone else–searched on “PRAE” “oil stock” and got this blog.

Leann September 16, 2004 at 8:40 pm

Hi I just got the same on my cell phone yesterday. Word for word except “Rebecca” said “she thought the stock was called “TRAE” than corrected herself and spelled out “PRAE”. Weird stuff!! I also did google on PRAE and got this blog.

Mike September 22, 2004 at 2:23 pm

I suggest each of you contact your state’s securities department and advise them of these “Pump and Dump” calls. If any of you are in Wisconsin please contact me directly.

Leann, contact me by email if you still have the recording on your answering machine/service. I would like to get a copy of it. Thanks.

LES June 27, 2005 at 9:32 am

I just stumbled on your site searching for TRAE stock. I received a spam pushing TRAE as tripling in four days or so. Does anyone know if this is worthwhile? I’m a beginner on this stock thing. Thinking of investing very small time. Thanks, Les 6/27/05

Harry Wood July 14, 2005 at 10:14 am

Voicemail spam? Weird. I guess we don’t have that problem in the UK because we have to pay for all our phone calls.

I’m getting shed load of email stock spam though. Very annoying.

Voicemail and email stock promotion is described in this article: